Changing Major

Triptych of students working on different projects

Our Philosophy

The Orfalea College of Business wants to maximize the likelihood of student success. We require convincing evidence from our Change of Major applicants to ensure they will thrive in our curriculum. The application process fairly assesses each student inquiry so available spaces are filled by the most qualified students.

General Guidelines

  • Review Cal Poly’s General Change of Major Policy in full.
  • Transfers are NOT eligible to change majors into the Orfalea College of Business. You can view available minors on the Academic Advising site.
  • Students are required to complete at least one full quarter (12 units) at Cal Poly before being eligible to enter into an Individualized Change of Major Agreement (ICMA) because we require a Cal Poly SLO Cumulative GPA to determine eligibility.
  • Students are required to research their intended major and make a well-informed decision prior to inquiring.
  • Eligible students who enter into a Change of Major Agreement (ICMA) and do not complete the agreement’s requirements, either by failing to complete the terms or by opting out due to a change of plan or interest, will not be eligible to pursue the same major again during their career at Cal Poly.
  • Students must be able to graduate within 4 years of their start date at Cal Poly. A realistic quarter-by-quarter graduation plan will be required to demonstrate whether this is feasible.